Director of Fundraising and Community Relations
Who are we?
Islamic Relief is an international relief and development agency striving to alleviate poverty and suffering around the world regardless of colour, race or religion.
Established in 1984 in response to the widespread famine in Africa, Islamic Relief has grown to be a well-known and respected aid agency providing disaster relief and supporting the sustainable development of vulnerable communities in over 40 countries. Islamic Relief specialises in Education & Training, Health and Nutrition, Water & Sanitation, Income Generation, Orphans’ Support, Emergency Relief and Disaster Preparedness. Islamic Relief Worldwide is a member of the UK Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC) and is an implementing partner for DFID, ECHO, the World Food Programme and UNHCR.
Islamic Relief Australia (IRAUS) is a member of the Islamic Relief family which shares a common vision, mission, and family identity, and all of whom use the term “Islamic Relief” as part of their organisational name. Islamic Relief Australia has an annual turnover of approximately $14 million and employs 15 staff and over 150 volunteers throughout Australia to support local and international emergency, welfare and development projects, as well as fundraising and advocacy work.
Islamic Relief Australia is an active member of the Australian Council for International Development (ACFID) and adheres to the ACFID Code of Conduct which defines minimum standards of governance, management and accountability of development for non-government organisations (NGOs).
Who are we looking for?
To lead manage the Fundraising and Community Relations (FCR) Team to achieve significant growth in income and influence, meeting the KPI’s of the IRAUS strategic plan.
The Director Fundraising and Community Relations position is a hands-on role, which is critical to achieving the strategic growth of the organisation. The position ensures that innovative and effective fundraising and community engagement strategies are in place to enable achievement of the 2023-2027 IRAUS Strategic Objectives and annual plans and budgets and key performance indicators.
The Director of Fundraising and Community Relations is part of the Executive Committee (Senior Leadership Team) for Islamic Relief Australia, responsible for overseeing the work of the organisation in compliance with the directives of the Board of Trustees.
- Leadership and management of the Fundraising and Community Relations (FCR) department.
- Strategic direction, operational planning and budgeting for the FCR department.
- Policy, technical advice and compliance: strengthen systems, policies and frameworks to ensure all IRAUS’ fundraising activities are best practice as defined by ACFID and DFAT.
- Effective management and oversight of the Marketing and Communications functions.
- Effective management and oversight of the Fundraising and Community Engagement functions.
- Effective management and oversight of the Supporter Relations functions.
To be successful in this role, you will have:
- Significant previous experience in a similar role
- Tertiary education relevant to the position (postgraduate qualifications will be highly regarded)
- Strong leadership and management skills in a complex multi-disciplinary organisation in a climate of continuous change
- Demonstrated high level ability to analyse and conceptualise problems and formulate and execute solutions.
- Experience in the effective development and implementation of community fundraising initiatives
- Demonstrated capacity for teamwork, coaching and staff development.
- Significant managerial experience and a successful track record of managing departments to achieve strategic objectives and operational targets.
- Excellent cross-cultural communication skills as well as a good knowledge and respect of the Islamic faith and values
- Previous experience working within the ACFID code of conduct is desirable.
For more information, please refer to the attached Job Description
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Applicants must have the right to work in Australia.
Islamic Relief is a child-safe organisation committed to the protection of the people we serve. Our recruitment and selection procedures are designed to ensure we only recruit people who are suitable and aligned with our standards on the safety of children and protection from sexual exploitation and abuse. All appointments are subject to appropriate background checks and screening.
We promote diversity and equality in all our practices. Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people are strongly encouraged to apply.